Security Guard Licensing
To be eligible for a license
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- You must be eligible to work in Canada.
- You must have a Clean Criminal Record.
None of the authors, contributors, administrators, vandals, or anyone else connected with
Pillar Security, in any way whatsoever, can be responsible for your use of the information
contained in or linked from the referral website. Your use of any third-party website is at
Basic Training / Testing Requirements
Before you apply for a license, you must:
How to apply for a security guard and/or private investigator license
- You can apply for a license by mail or online through Service Ontario.
- If you apply online, you will be able to check the status of your application online within
two business days.
- Online applicants will be able to access a printable digital license as soon as their
application is approved. The printed digital license can be used as proof of licensing until
you receive your plastic license card by mail.
Please note that ServiceOntario does not accept applications for security guard
or private investigator licenses at its service counters.
The Processing Time
A correctly completed application can take up to 30 days to be processed.
Your new license will expire two birthdays after the day it is issued.
Security Guard Responsibilities
Security guards and private investigators must carry a valid license at all times
while on duty. Security guards must identify themselves and show the front of their license to
anyone who asks to see it. This includes employers, police
and members of the public.
Security guards and private investigators are responsible for adhering to the Private Security and Investigative Services Act,
and its regulations, including the Code of Conduct regulation.
Failure to comply can lead to charges.